Heal Gel is used to treat post-operative scarring, keloid scars, blemishes and aged scar tissue as well as treating everyday injuries such as sprains, sunburn, bruising and many other inflammatory skin concerns such as eczema and psoriasis.
COMING UP ROSACEA-FREE
Another reader tip – this time for acne rosacea, which is notoriously intractable. ‘Heal Gel has made such an amazing difference to my rosacea. I basically had no complete skin left on my nose at all, now it’s almost back to normal.’ She asks if this product, actually designed to heal skin after cosmetic surgery and/or other trauma, will be available on the NHS and the answer, so far, is sadly no.
Created by five leading British plastic and cosmetic surgeons with the help of a renowned skin biochemist, Heal Gel has ten active ingredients grouped into three working parties - the soothing group, the tissue repair group and the anti-scarring group.
The Soothing Group contains:
- Arnica Montana - A plant-derived anti-inflammatory. This has been shown in clinical trails to significantly reduce bruising and swelling. When the smallest of your body’s blood vessels are damaged they let blood leak into the cells around, and as the haemoglobin in the seepage breaks down it discolours the skin - result, bruises.
- Madecassoside - A valued and valuable plant-derived anti-inflammatory. The plant it comes from is a traditional Chinese medicinal herb.
- Haloxyl TM - Another anti-inflammatory, which has been shown in studies to reduce bruising .
- Glistin Glutamylaminomethyl Indole - This is a peptide - a little chain of amino acids, like proteins but shorter, in fact so tiny they can be absorbed by skin. It maintains the nerve cells so they don’t burn or itch so much. It has been shown in studies to work as a mild local pain reliever.
- Biodynes® TRF® - Derived from yeast. Another anti-inflammatory which also actively renews cells and helps them breathe more easily.
The Repair Group contains:
- Collaxyl® Vinci02® - More peptides which has been shown to help repair the surface and undersurface layers of the skin, and stimulate the undersurface cells to make the protein collagen.
- Oristine® - This peptide’s job is to encourage the enzyme SIRT1, which helps regulate the way cells age and deal with stress.
- Signalline® - This tells the signalling enzymes of the body to pass on the message to regenerate the surface and undersurface skin layers and produce more collagen.
The Anti-Scarring Group contains:
- Polysilicone-11 - A silicone that stays on the surface of the skin as a gel and seals it, so that the rest of the ingredients can work undisturbed. It also softens and flattens the visible surface of the wound. Plastic surgeons have used silicones for years to improve scars, and they are very successful in flattening early, red scars when the wound has fully healed.
- Methylsilanol hydroxyproline aspartate - Hydroxyproline is an amino acid, a big part both of collagen and of elastin, the protein that controls the elasticity of connective tissue fibres. It has been shown to help keep damaged tissue from losing its texture and stretchiness.
Directions: Apply Heal Gel to any area of troublesome, but unbroken skin, two or three times daily.
Aqua(Water), Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Polysilicone-11, Glycerin, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/vp copolymer, Penoxethanol, Butylene glycol, saccharomyces lysate extract, madecassoside, olea europea(olive oil) Fruit oil, methylsilanol, hydroxyproline aspartate, arnica, montana flower extract, laminaria digitata extract phospholipids, alcohol, simmondsia chinensis(jojoba)oil, glutamylamidoethyl indole, oryza sativa extract, hexapeptide-9, hexapeptide-3,parfum(Fragrance), Linalool, limonene, steareth-20, N-Hydroxysuccinimide, chrysin, palmitoyl oligopeptide, palmitoyl tetrapeptide, disodium edta, ethylhxylglycerin, chlorhexidine digluconate, salicylic acid, sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate.