My weak, flaky nails are finally growing to a reasonable length thanks, I believe, to my daily intake of Solgar Skin, Nails and Hair Formula (£12.50 for 60 tablets). This supplement is designed to help produce collagen and keratin, the building blocks of skin, hair and nails. It is based on MSM, a sulphur-containing mineral, combined with red algae, copper, lysine and vitamin C. Read More…
When a friend had a bad bout of food poisoning with severe diarrhoea recently, I asked naturopath Ben Brown, technical director of Viridian Nutrition, for advice. He suggested she do the following:
- Take an oral rehydration solution (available from chemists nationwide).
- Avoid dairy food as transient lactose intolerance can develop and make diarrhoea worse.
- Introduce a daily zinc supplement, containing around 20mg of elemental zinc. Try Solgar Zinc Picolinate (£9.91, victoriahealth.com).
- Take 500mg of the probiotic Saccharomyces boulardii, which has strong antimicrobial and anti-diarrheal activity, twice daily. Viridian Nutrition Travel Biotic (£20, victoriahealth.com) contains S. boulardii in a ginger-root base.
- Sip strong black tea (the tannins help battle the infective bacteria and reduce inflammation), plus ginger tea if you feel nauseous. Eat grated or stewed apple with the peel on.