The medical term for an ear infection is otitis media. The word otitis stands for ear which means inflammation and the term media means middle as the infection usually occurs in the middle ear canal.
Although children are more likely to suffer from ear infections, and this is often due to the narrow passage that connects the middle ear to the nose which can get blocked easily, adults may suffer from ear infection too for a variety of reasons.
The symptoms of ear infection in adults may be ear pain, discharge and congestion in the ears which can lead to hearing problems such as muffled hearing.
What causes ear infections
The common causes of ear infections include:
- Poor immunity – a compromised immune system means that the body is liable to pick up infections. Ear infections often arise after a cold or viral infection making it vital to boost your immune system.
- Airborne allergens – airborne allergens such as fungal spores, pet dander, dust mites and cigarette smoke may be responsible for ear infections.
- Food sensitivities – the most common food allergens which may be responsible for ear pain include wheat, dairy products, sugar, yeast and shellfish.
- Structural blockages – in some cases chronic ear infections may arise as a result of structural problems involving the ear and the Eustachian tube. Enlarged adenoids are a common cause.
- Respiratory tract infections may often be accompanied by ear infections.
- Lack of mucus production within the ear may make one more susceptible to ear infections.
- Water gets trapped in the ear canal due to build-up of wax, called swimmer’s ear. This causes bacteria to grow and then an infection follows.
These are some of the most common causal factors for ear infections.
Natural remedies for earache
Often antibiotic drops are prescribed at the first signs of an earache or ear infection. In many instances, ear infections may be viral and not bacterial in nature making the antibiotic drops not very useful at all.
Organic Ear Oil is a natural ear oil containing herbal oils and extracts known to support healthy ears. These ear drops may help calm and soothe any ear inflammation and are formulated with garlic oil, mullein extract, tea tree oil, olive and lavender oils.
- Garlic oil – Garlic displays powerful antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties making it an ideal remedy for mild ear infections.
- Olive oil – May help calm and soothe irritation, inflammation, redness and pain. Also helps to loosen ear wax.
- Mullein extract – Obtained from mullein flowers, this herb has a long history of use for treating ear infections which continues to this day. Mullein displays analgesic, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties making it a very useful remedy for treating earache and mild ear infections.
- Tea tree oil – Also known as melaleuca, tea tree oil benefits include its broad spectrum of antibacterial activity which is why it is often used or recommended for ear infections.
- Echinacea extract – Echinacea is a herb that most people use at the first sign of a cold or flu. However, Echinacea when used topically in cream or oil format works to calm down inflammation and also displays antibacterial properties.
Organic Ear Oil calms sensitivity, soothes and comforts the ears, prevents ear wax build-up with regular use and may prove to be useful to prevent and treat ear infections.